Volkswagen Passat Warning Lights
While traveling around Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, and Harrisburg one of the last sights you want to see is a light appear on your Volkswagen Passat’s dashboard. While most of these lights aren’t cause for immediate alarm, some are designed to alert you when a serious issue or malfunction is detected.
Understanding what these various lights indicate can go a long way towards helping you avoid a costly breakdown or worse—an accident. To learn more, continue reading our guide to Volkswagen Passat warning lights!
What Do the Different Dashboard Colors Mean?
When trying to understand the multitude of different symbols and colors it’s best to think of your Passat’s dashboard system like a traffic light. Green lights appear when a normal function or piece of equipment is in use. These functions can range from your turning signal to your daytime running lights.
Yellow warning lights indicate that a serious but non-emergency issue has been detected. While you may still be able to operate your VW Passat, it’s advised that you investigate the potential issue as soon as possible to avoid creating any additional issues or damage.
A few of most common yellow warning lights you may encounter include:
- Oil Level Low. This symbol looks like a dripping oil can with three triangles underneath and appears when your oil sensor detects a dangerous dip in your oil reservoir
- Tire Pressure Monitoring. This symbol looks like an exclamation point enclosed within a horseshoe. This appears when at least one of your tires’ air pressure has fallen below a safe level.
- Check Engine/Engine Malfunction. This symbol looks like the profile of a vehicle’s engine and appears when an issue with your engine or emissions system is detected.
- Bulb Failure. This symbol looks like a glowing lightbulb and appears when a bulb has burned out somewhere on your vehicle.
- Automatic Transmission Malfunction. This symbol looks like an exclamation point within a toothed gear and appears when an issue with your automatic transmission is detected.
While yellow warning lights should never go ignored, red warning lights pose a serious issue that requires your immediate action. These issues include:
- Oil Pressure. This symbol looks like a dripping oil can and appears when your VW Passat’s oil level has dipped below a safe level.
- Coolant Level/ Coolant Temperature. This symbol looks like a thermometer above two wavy lines. When this appears, it means your coolant is low and temperature inside your engine is dangerously high.
- Brake System. This symbol looks like an exclamation point within two circles and appears when either the parking brake is engaged, or your ABS system has malfunctioned.
- Alternator. This symbol looks like the top of a battery and appears when there’s low voltage output from the Passat’s alternator or charging has completely failed.
Should any of the warning lights listed above appear while driving, immediately find a safe place to pull over to assess the situation. If you require professional help, stop by or visit Faulkner Volkswagen Service Center serving drivers around Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, and Harrisburg!